Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Faces of PPA

Hey everyone!

Sorry it has been a while since my last post. The Professional Photographers of America recently asked its members to submit an article and photo about why we became photographers, and how PPA has helped my business. This "Assignment" has given me a chance to think about my life..... scary, huh?

Well, for those of you that don't know, I went to college to be a band director. I loved my high school band, and I loved marching in the band at Florida State too! (I spent a year at University of Louisville also. No marching band) When I was at FSU, I took a course on photography to fill in some credit hours. I realized I loved creating images with a camera!

My first job was being a sports photographer, covering Florida State Football, and other FSU sports. Great fun! We had to stay up all night developing film and printing photos for the newspaer. Tiring work, but fulfilling. One thing led to another, and people asked me to do their family photos, and weddings. I was so nervous at my first wedding I did not sleep for almost three days.

The turning point for me was when I photographed a couple on their 50th wedding anniversary. Such a great copuple. They were still completely in love with each other. After a few weeks the man came in to view the photographs-alone. His wife had passed away the day after our photo shoot.
We sat and cried together as we went through the proofs. I realized that day I had one of the most wondrous jobs in the world. I was a memory collector. I knew that being a photographer was my passion.

Thanks for allowing me to share! And thanks to my stepdaughter Madaleine for snapping this shot as I was doing an engagement session!

No comments: